May 14, 2016

What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi | Book Review

What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours is a collection of nine short stories, four of which have been published previously in various journals. It begins with Books and Roses then continues with Sorry Doesn't Sweeten her Tea, Is Your Blood as Red as This?, Drownings, Presence, A Brief History of the Homely Wench Society, Darnicka and the St. Martin's Day Goose, Freddy Barrandov Checks...in?, and ends with If a Book is Locked There's Probably a Good Reason for That Don't You Think? Of the lot I liked the second, seventh, and ninth stories with the ninth one being my favorite.

What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours is the fourth Oyeyemi title I've read out of the six she has published so far (I'm not counting the book of plays) and I still have the same problems that I always have when I read an Oyeyemi novel. I have a problem connecting with her stories... It's not because her main characters are sometimes caucasian as opposed to being Nigerian or having an African ancestry. I grew up devouring stories about caucasian characters in novels written by caucasian authors just like every other Nigerian in my generation so I can connect to anyone regardless of race, that's not a problem. Oyeyemi has a penchant for penning mystical stories or stories with fairytale-y roots and while that's not my thing in this phase of my life, I still expect to enjoy these stories or at least appreciate them but most of the time I do not. What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours was a struggle to read and I was glad when I was away from the book even though I was on a tight reading schedule in the first quarter of 2016. When I finally finished it, I still got the "I finished this story but I don't know exactly what I read" feeling that comes often when I read an Oyeyemi title.

January 30th, 2004 edition of The Guardian
I purchased White Is for Witching via Amazon in April 2013 and I still can't get past the first few pages. I've thumbed through White Is for Witching many times over the past three years just to see if it gets better somewhere (usually that encourages me to give the book another shot) but that hasn't worked. Every now and then I search for Mr. Fox on Amazon and preview it using Amazon's "Look Inside" feature but I can tell it's not good for me so I never buy it. I don't know... Maybe Oyeyemi's books are not for me. I don't want to keep battling through her novels only to arrive at the other end to write a review saying how much I don't like it. That's a waste of my time and yours. Especially here in America where there are millions of novels, sitting in gorgeous, air-conditioned buildings that are too nice to house only books, begging to be read. I have decided that I'm going step back for a while and when I'm ready I'll be much more thorough before I select and purchase another another Oyeyemi book. Someone somewhere is going to call me a hater but I'm not a hater. I really want to connect to Oyeyemi's stories. There are only three Nigerian authors whose interviews/features I have cut out of newspapers and Oyeyemi is one of them. I even brought the 2004 newspaper clipping with me when I moved to America in 2009. Above is a photo of my newspaper clipping along with my copy of this novel. It's from the January 30th, 2004 edition of Nigeria's The Guardian. I clearly did a lot of highlighting lol. I have posted this photo to show I'm not some hater. This review is just me trying to be honest about an author I care about and someone whose career I have followed for quite some time.

Helen Oyeyemi is amazing. It's something I've always admitted. It's something that's unquestionable. Half the time when I read her books I'm wondering how she makes all of this stuff up. She's impressive. I'll wait. I'll try to not just buy another novel because it's an Oyeyemi book. The future will bring me an Oyeyemi offering that will excite me just as much or even more than The Icarus Girl did in 2008. I know it will.
---
READ: 
The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi - My Thoughts 
The Opposite House by Helen Oyeyemi - My Thoughts
Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi - My Thoughts

[Image via Amazon]

14 comments:

  1. This is not the kind of review/thoughts post I was expecting.
    I didn't realize you had such a complicated relationship with Oyeyemi. And I also didn't know her stories centered around white characters. I'm not happy about that, I must say.

    Well...when I get around to reading this book (only Oyeyemi I own), I will let you know what I think. Hopefully my experience is more positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha we do have a complicated author/reader "relationship". Yeah, I hope to read your thoughts on it when you too. If u find The Icarus Girl in the library read its synopsis and see if it's something that might interest you. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Osondu you killed it with his post.. Ok where do I start from??

    Oyeyemi has a penchant for penning mystical stories or stories with fairytale-y roots and while that's not my thing in this phase of my life, (Neither am I lover of fairytales)

    in America where there are millions of novels, sitting in gorgeous, air-conditioned buildings - (hahaha.. you can't imagine the image that spring up to mind)

    No worries, you aren't a hater.. that is what you feel.. you write the truth.. you are honest. Honesty counts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mary!!! Yeah, I tried to be honest. Lol I bet you were impressed by the libraries abroad too.

      Delete
  3. I didn't sense any hateration from this review. Please, you are NOT a hater, you're just being honest and that's perfectly fine. It's YOUR platform and you have the right to express your views (and they were respectful too). I liked the review! I have never read an Oyeyemi novel and I don't plan on reading her work anytime soon. I'm not a fan of the magical realism genre - unless its written by Ngugi Wa Thiong'o. I even tweeted about this last year - I can't spend money on a novel I won't understand or a novel that I will struggle to get thru and I know her style of writing would have me feeling confused lol. Its not by force, abeg. LOL, but yeah - thanks for being honest in this review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad you didn't enjoy the book as much as you thought you would. I read Oyeyemi's Mr. Fox recently and loved the read. It took me a while to get into the book. But I was happy that I read the whole thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, too bad but it's all good. I still want to give Mr. Fox a chance and who knows I might do so in the future. Thanks a lot for stopping by and leaving a comment! :) Have you read any of Oyeyemi's other books?

      Delete
  5. I love Oyeyemi as a writer. I have read just one so far. Which is Mr. Fox. I admire her writing skills alot. There are few who disagree with the fact that Oyeyemi doesnt always write about people of color, but I feel that as a writer you should be liberated to write about anything and everything that you feel like. I would be looking forward to reading this book of stories too. Great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also feel that way. Writer's should feel free to write about anything they want to write about. I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. To be honest, I cannot understand what you want me to say. I wish you had shared something in detail, so I can understand it in a better way. Although, I am thinking to search more about it on the internet, but I do not have much time because I have to Buy Dissertation Uk based at an affordable price. i promise, after getting free from my assignment, I will search more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what is not yours is not yours its a great book and your writing style is great by the way i am sarah i am designer i just designed women royal blue leather jacket please visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Mary!!! Yeah, I tried to be honest. Lol I bet you were impressed by the libraries abroad too by the way i am agent in save driver company we provide best driver service in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  9. Top app development services are essential for transforming your app idea into reality. With their exceptional skills, industry knowledge, and commitment to excellence, they deliver high-quality, user-centric apps that stand out in the market.

    ReplyDelete